Dell Broadcom Drivers
So I performed the normal troubleshooting steps from uninstalling the network drivers, reinstalling the existing driver, and then finally installing the latest drivers – which would always fail. So after a bit of messing around I called Dell Enterprise Support and to my surprise the provided a shocking list of prerequisites before we could upgrade the drivers…
To Ensure the Broadcom Installer Works:
1) Download the new Broadcom drivers
2) Ensure Microsoft’s .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 is installed.
a. Install .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 from Microsoft.
3) Ensure .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 and 3.5 are NOT installed.
a. They can be reinstalled after installing the new Broadcom drivers.
4) Disable/Pause any Antivirus and Threat-Protection scanners that can interrupt the Broadcom driver installation.
5) Uninstall the existing Broadcom drivers from Add/Remove Programs.
7) If they started, Disable/Pause any Antivirus and Threat-Protection scanners that can interrupt the Broadcom driver installation.
8) Install the new Broadcom drivers
a. Double-click the Broadcom installer to extract the files to C:\Broadcom\w2k3_8.
i. 32-bit: Bcom_LAN_12.4_W2K3_8_A02.exe
ii. 64-bit: Bcom_LAN_12.4_W2K3_8_64_A03.exe
b. Navigate to C:\Broadcom\w2k3_8\Driver_Management_Apps_Installer
c. Double-Click Setup.Exe.
d. Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation.
NOTE: Using Device Manager to install the network drivers is not a complete installation of the Broadcom driver.
Both the Device manager driver AND the BACS software MUST be installed for the driver to operate correctly.
9) Reboot, if the driver requests.
10) Reinstall .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 and 3.5 if either were installed.
11) Restore any Antivirus and Threat-Protection scanners that were paused during the driver installation.