70-290 Concepts: Networking/Terminal Services
· Under Windows Server 2003, the default NTFS permissions are Administrator/System/Owner: Full Control; Users: Allow Modify
· NTFS permissions are cumulative, with deny always overrides; share permissions + NTFS = lowest takes precedent.
· Share folders cannot be renamed; share folders with a postfix of $ will be hidden in Network Places.
· Quotas: admin @ unlimited; assigned per-user/per-drive. Not assignable to groups; based on file size regardless of disk compression
· Shadow copies automatically backup copies of shared folders at scheduled times, must be NTFS formatted, setup per volume, must have client software installed and accessed via UNC (\\server\share)
· Terminal Services (TS) Licensing: Remote Administration Mode: 2 concurrent users max; Application Server: need per client license for every client
· TS management, permitting to view/connect/disconnect/logoff/send message/remote control
· TS configuration permitting control over Active Desktop/temp files/encryption level/local resources/etc.
· Should use tsshutdn.exe instead of shutdown since it will notify remote users of the restart.
· Control of remote desktop on server via right-click My Computer > Properties > Remote
· The print spooler service loads files to memory for printing, if there is a problem restart the service.
· Terminal Services Licensing server:
o Terminal Servers first check their registry for a possible pointer to a license server; then they query
o Enterprise License Server which can run on a DC or member servers; registered existence in AD for the local site only; then they query
o Domain Licensing Server: only exists on domain controllers