Technology Policies/Network Printers
To properly configure network printers initially on a windows network:
- Leave printers setup in DHCP
- Check DHCP server and use the MAC address information to establish a DHCP reservation. Remember to set the reservation in ‘all’ DHCP servers.
- Restart the network printer as necessary
- Add printer on server via TCP/IP address
- Deploy via Group Policy
Color Network Printers
- Configure default color setting as “black & white” which will force the end users to choose color only when the want it.
- Rationale: From experience, users will not elect to go through the extra steps required to select black & white when printing and e-mail or website, even when color is not necessary. However, these extra color pages can contribute significantly toward the number of annual color pages.
- Color printing access: depending on the printer/MFP device, along with its drivers, there are several options to restrict color printing.
- Use the printer configuration for access control lists within the printer itself, which will then require a “code/password” on each client’s workstation to be setup.
- Create two different shared printers on the server, one of which is black & white only (color disabled) and then use windows ACL to determine who has access to which features
Please follow and like us: